Topic: THE BLESSEDNESS OF FRUITFULNESS
Text: John 15:1-8
“And God blessed them, and God said unto them, be fruitful and multiply, and replenish them earth, and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” Genesis 1:28
Fruitfulness simply means productivity. And talking about the Blessedness of fruitfulness, it refers to the blessings that come with fruitfulness or the rewards that accompany productivity.
From our previous study we established that as much as there are consequences of fruitlessness, so also there abound blessings and rewards for fruitfulness.
As Christians and labourers in the vineyard of God, it is important to note that productivity (fruitfulness) is very important to Him (God), so much so that He has attached handsome reward to it. From our text, John 15:2b says “…and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.” This implies that, to everyone that is committed to His kingdom promotion exercise, or to the propagation of his work on earth to the saving of souls from destruction, He will be committed to making sure such a person lacks nothing because that is what gives Him and the host of heaven joy.
“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” John 15:7-8.
Outline 1: WHY MUST WE BE FRUITFUL?
It is necessary to note the following on why it is important to be fruitful.
- It is both a command and a blessing from God as presented in our memory verse (Genesis 1:28).
- It agrees with divine principle that fruitfulness precedes multiplication (Genesis 17:20; 35:11).
- To be able to disciple or mentor others (2 Kings 2:9-12).
- To enjoy a covenant blessing of overflowing fruitfulness on every side (Deuteronomy 7:12-14).
- To ensure complete compliance of all men to God’s will (Matthew 28:18-20).
Outline 2: GOD’S EXPECTATION IN GENUINE FRUITFULNESS
For you to bear good fruit that will warrant God’s blessing, it must be according to God’s standard. As such it is important to note the following.
- Be a worthy living epistle to all (2 Corinthians 3:1-3).
- It must serve as an essential proof of the fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-26).
- Not forsaking the assembly of one another (Hebrews 10:25)
- Covet the usage of the best spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10)
- Be divinely committed living a holy and obedient lifestyle (Acts 16:25)
Outline 3: ACCOMPANYING BLESSINGS OF FRUITFULNESS
This is very important, if you get outlines 1 and 2 right, and correctly apply all as given, then be rest assured that the following blessings and much more as God has promised will follow you.
- Assurance of answered prayers (John 15:16).
- Unspeakable Joy (1 Samuel 2:1; Luke 10:17).
- A sense of fulfillment (2 Timothy 4:7-8).
- Opportunity to produce more fruits (John 15:3,5).
- Guaranteed divine security to ensure a continuous regular output (John 15:4-6).
- Both earthly and eternal rewards (1 Timothy 5:18; Matthew 19:27-29).
God is a REWARDER, and his rewards are not humanly quantifiable, and He rewards every labour of love that is geared towards ensuring fruitfulness in His kingdom. As such, we must do all we can by all means possible to bear good fruits that will remain.
Grace to be fruitful and enjoy the blessings thereof, receive in Jesus name! AMEN!