Topic: MISSION: MORE URGENT NOW THAN EVER (part 2)
Text: Luke 15:3-6
“Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:14-16
Last week we studied “Mission” as it relates to the believer and how urgent it needs to carried out. Also, we studied that as much as Mission is important and urgent, believers must watch out for common errors that are associated with it. In continuation therefore, we now look at the urgency of Mission as it relates to the targeted souls and the concern of heaven. We live in a world today that in full of uncertainty, no safety and security anywhere else in the world except in Christ. As such, every soul that wanders from the fold (the place of safety in Christ), is exposed to danger.we see in our text today why the shepherd had to leave the ninety-nine sheep to look for the one that was lost. This is because the one has gone out of the place of safety, open to the wilds, and could be easily attacked and devoured by the wolves, the lions and other wild animals. “…be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”1 Peter 5:8. The devil and his agents are out there and we must not let them take a chance on any one.
“And he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.” Luke 15:3-6.
Outline 1: THREE TYPES OF LOST SOULS
- The Careless (The Lost Sheep); so many people have wandered away from the place of their safety like the lost sheep in our text. The sheep while concentrating on the grass was carried away, thereby carelessly graze away from the shepherd’s care. Many souls are lost in the world today due to carelessness, washed away afar from their shore of safety by the wave of trends and events of this world. “And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.” Mark 4:19
- The uncared for (The Lost Coin); this category of lost souls are different from the first in the sense that, they’re not lost because they’re careless, rather because of lack of care. Some sheep get lost because the owners did not care enough for them. Just like the story of the lost coin, it demonstrate the careless attitude of the woman who owns it (Luke 15:8). More importantly is the fact that Jesus warned the disciples not to offend the little ones (new/young souls). “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” Matthew 18:6.
- The Backsliders (Lost Son); this category of lost souls deliberately strayed away from the fold due to the love of the world and the things of the world. Just as the story of the lost son in the book of Luke 15:11-32. He is attracted by the pleasure of sin and the concern about today alone. They are talent wasters. Nevertheless, the father is still very much interested in their souls as such the need to go all-out for them and get them also back into the fold.
Outline 2: THE TRINITY’S RESPONSE TO LOST SOULS
The Trinity (The Father, Son and Holy Spirit) do not like souls to be lost, whether 1 of 100 or 1 of 2, every soul is equally important as such the Trinity is committed to the task also.
- The father wants all rebellious sons to return as in Luke 15:20-21
- The Son (Jesus) sought for the lost sheep until He found it. Luke 15:17
- The holy Spirit seeks for helpless souls until He found them. John 16:7-8, 13.
- The Trinity rejoice when every lost soul returns Luke 15:6,9,17,18,32.
The danger outside the fold (in the world) is enormous, as such, Mission exercise is very urgent. Souls are missing (getting lost) everyday due to carelessness, carefreeness, and by intension. But every lost soul is equally important to the father so must be sought and found. So we must develop a sense of urgency for reaching out, seek till you find, do not give up on any type of lost souls Matthew 7:8, Act10:34-35. And remember the entire heaven (the Trinity) rejoices for every soul found and restored.