Sunday School Review (10.07.2016)
Topic: LIKE FATHER LIKE SON
Text: MARK 16:15-18
“How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.” Acts 10:38
“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:15,17-18.
“Like father like son” is a popular saying used to describe the character of someone (a son) as it relates to his father. This mean that your character should point us to your father. If you say one is your father, it is not just about having his name as your surname, but there should be a trace of his attribute manifest in you. Too many Christians are carrying around the title “Christians” with little or nothing to show that they are indeed Christians. The bible recorded that “And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.” Acts 11:26b because there was something about them that points to Christ.
Jesus during his stay on earth did not only teach us how to live like the father, but he also lived the life. The apostles lived the same life after Him and that is why they were referred to as Christians. They went about preaching and teaching as Jesus did, they had so much power backing their ministries with proofs, and that it why without hesitation, they were identified as people that have been with Christ (Christians). So as a christian, for you to be able to operate a power and proof producing ministry like your father (Jesus) did, you should understand the following lessons as outlined below.
Lesson Outline 1: “LIKE FATHER LIKE SON” IN POWERFUL MINISTRY
- The Lord Jesus Christ is our perfect example in ministry (Acts 2:22)
- He went about preaching, healing and delivering the oppressed (Acts 10:38).
- He was known for signs and wonders because God was with Him (Mark 1:14-15, 21-22,40-45).
- God expects every believer to be like Christ in ministry (Mark 16:15-18).
- The believers carry the Holy Spirit like the Lord Jesus and should therefore preach the gospel both at home and abroad.
- The believer carry the mandate to go and preach the gospel to all nation.
- The believer has assurance of the divine presence of God (Matthew 28:18-20).
Lesson Outline 2: “LIKE FATHER LIKE SON” PROOF-PRODUCING MINISTRY?
- The book of Acts of Apostle contains records of proof of the power of the Holy Spirit working wonders (Mark 16:20).
- The Apostles’ experiences are challenges for believers to follow(Acts 2:14-37, 42-27).
- Believers must be vessels unto Honour and loaded with the following anointing:
- Anointing to heal (Acts 3:1-9)
- Anointing in power evangelism (Acts 4:7-14)
- Anointing to discern and judge iniquity promptly (Acts 5:1-11)
- Anointing for signs and wonders (Acts 5:12; 14:1)
- Anointing to bear fruits that will abide (John 15:16; Acts 14:1).
Signs and wonders are in the DNA of Jesus, so as Christians, let signs and wonders manifest in your character and ministry as it was in the time of Jesus and the Apostles and even the time of the prophets of old. “For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons (and daughters) of God.” Romans 8:19.
May God make grace available unto us for seamless manifestations in the ministries He has delivered to us in Jesus name. Amen!