Topic: OVERFLOWING BLESSINGS
Text: DEUTERONOMY 28:1-13
“The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10:10
“And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.” Deuteronomy 28:1-2
As Christians, it is one thing to be blessed and a different thing to overflow in blessings.
Deuteronomy 28:3-13 highlighted over 30 outstanding blessings which God has promised His people. Very important to note from our text is what He said in verse 2; “And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee…” Deuteronomy 28:2a. All the blessings numbering well over 30 shall not only come on you but shall overtake (overshadow/flood) you.
This means, to have blessings overflow is not just to have what you need, but to have more than enough. For example; it’s not about having divine healing, but celebrating divine health or better still, not about having enough to feed yourself, but more than enough to feed others, that is overflowing blessings.
Outline 1: SECRETS OF OVERFLOWING BLESSINGS
It is impossible to enjoy the blessings of God to overflow without knowing the secret.
- Be born again (John 3:3; Matthew 6:33). The very first step to being listed as a candidate for blessings overflow than to be born again.
- Consistent and generous sowing (Proverbs 11:24-25)
- Diligent obedience (Deuteronomy 28:1). This is the prime condition for overflowing blessings.
- Hard work (Proverbs 10:4); there’s no substitute for hard work.
- Self-discipline (1 Corinthians 9:25).
- Prayers (James 5:16)
- Commitment to God’s work (Act 19:8-12)
Outline 2: HOW DO WE BEGIN TO OVERFLOW?
- Accept God’s invitation (John 6:35)
- Get thirsty for God (Matthew 5:6; 2 Peter 1:2) the more of Him you desire to know, the more grace you enjoy.
- Be an active soul winner (John 15:16) you can’t work for Him and not get paid.
- Be a blessing to others (Proverbs 22:9); this is very important. In fact, if there is any reason why God wants you to overflow in blessings, is for you to be a blessing to others. He said to Abraham, “…in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.” Genesis 12:3
You can not have overflowing blessings without the people around you feeling or noticing it. You know you are overflowing in blessings when men begin to thank God for bringing you into their lives, when they begin to trace to you the channel of God’s upon their lives. God wants you to have overflowing blessings, He wants to make you a channel to reach others. But Are you willing?
May God grant you the grace to enjoy His blessings overflow in Jesus name. Amen!